Nuclear and gas-fueled plants are replacing coal-fired plants, and commercially sized solar projects are in the early stages of becoming economically viable.
In our transactional work, we have represented utilities, cooperatives, municipalities, lenders and large loads. The breadth of our experience enables us to assess quickly and accurately the alternatives for meeting client needs and the requirements of the marketplace.
Successful transactions for the purchase of power or construction of generation require knowledge and experience in the commercial, financial, regulatory and environmental rules, regulations and practices driving energy markets. We have both regulatory and environmental lawyers who work with our transactional attorneys on power purchase and new resource development projects.
As a team, we participate in the structuring of power purchase transactions and the development of projects for new resources. Working together we are able to negotiate terms and conditions that meet the requirements of the marketplace and are in full compliance with regulatory and environmental laws, rules and practices. Our projects have operated within RTOs and in open markets. We have been leaders in the inclusion of meaningful and accessible credit support terms in power supply and development agreements.
Our recent work has included the following:
- Negotiation of long-term all-requirements scheduling agent and power purchase agreements.
- Participation in the evaluation of proposals and negotiation of project documents for the design and construction of a biogas project.
- Development of a competitive procurement program for long-term power purchase agreements.
- Negotiation of power purchase agreements for alternative energy in compliance with the requirements of a Renewable Portfolio Standard.
- The drafting of contracts for improvements to transmission lines and other infrastructure to accommodate a large load
- Chambers USA
- Energy & Natural Resource, Illinois (2012-2021)
- Energy: Electricity (Transactional), Nationwide (2021)
- The Legal 500 U.S. – Practice Groups Recommended (2021)
- Energy Transactions: Conventional Power (2020-2021)
- M&A/Corporate and Commercial: M&A – Middle- Market (2015-2021)
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” – National Tier 1
- Energy Law (2013-2022)
- Corporate Law (2020-2022)
- Mergers and Acquisition Law (2020-2022)
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” – Metropolitan Tier 1
- Corporate Law, Chicago (2020-2022)
- Energy Law, Chicago (2013-2022)
- Environmental Law, Chicago (2012-2022)
- Energy Law, Washington, D.C. (2014-2021)
- Mergers and Acquisition Law, Chicago (2019-2022)