Susanna Hathaway Murphy
Susie Hathaway Murphy brings over 20 years of health care industry experience to Arent Fox’s Health Care Practice Group. Her practice focuses on counseling and representing health care provider clients in operational, regulatory and business transactional matters.
Susie works with a wide variety of health care provider clients, including hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers, ambulatory clinics, surgery centers, medical groups, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, safety net providers and public entities.
Key areas of operational and regulatory practice include, among others, corporate compliance, State licensure, Medicare and Medicaid certification, accreditation, adverse events and unusual occurrences, patient safety (including patient safety work product and PSOs), scope of practice, medical staff credentialing and peer review, and corporate practice of medicine.
Susie often interfaces with regulatory and accreditation agencies on behalf of health care clients. Her strong understanding of health care operations, which stems from past clinical experience as a registered nurse, provides an advantage when advising clients on a myriad of compliance-related issues.
Susie is regularly involved in transactional matters. She counsels clients and negotiates and drafts contracts for a variety of health care business arrangements, including setting-up health care entities and integrated health care delivery systems, mergers and acquisitions, and management and professional services arrangements.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Susie spent several years with the largest public agency health plan in the nation, where she advised top leadership on regulatory and strategic issues, negotiated and drafted contracts and other documents, and provided legal analysis and counsel on a variety of health care and business matters, involving Medi-Cal managed care, business arrangements, the health care safety net, public agency considerations, legislative topics and real estate.
Prior to this experience, Susie worked in the legal department of a major academic medical center, where she handled contracts and operational issues relating to services arrangements, clinical trials and other business matters. Susie also has experience in national law firms in their health care regulatory and corporate practice groups.
Prior to practicing law, Susie practiced as a registered nurse at a world-class academic medical center in Los Angeles, in both the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and as Team Leader in the Adult Surgical Unit. She also volunteered at a major children’s hospital in the patient relations department and the child-life program.
Susie is a member of the California Society for Healthcare Attorneys and the American Health Lawyers Association.
Publications, Presentations, and Recognitions
Recent and upcoming speaking engagements include:
- Arent Fox's 2014 Medical Staff Leaders and the Law Conference, "ACOs, Medical Groups and Outpatient Departments: Understanding the Structures and How They Relate to the Medical Staff," Newport Beach, CA; February 7, 2014
- California Association Medical Staff Services (CAMSS) Orange County Chapter, "Information Protections: Patient Safety Work Product, Peer Review & Lawyer-Client Privilege," Anaheim, CA; February 4, 2014
- California Association Medical Staff Services (CAMSS) San Fernando Valley/Ventura County Chapter, "Minute Taking – Down the Road to Corrective Action," Pasadena, CA; November 15, 2013
- California Association Medical Staff Services (CAMSS) Long Beach Chapter Annual Educational Conference, “Peer Review Discovery Protections: Back to Basics” and “Reassignment following Summary Suspension,” Long Beach, CA; October 18, 2013
- Adventist Health System, “Adverse Event Reporting in a Multi-State System,” Roseville, CA; May 8, 2013
- California Association Medical Staff Services (CAMSS) San Fernando Valley/Ventura County Chapter, "Adverse Event Reporting," Tarzana, CA; April 20, 2013
- Los Angeles County – Department of Health Services, Risk Managers Committee, "Adverse Event Reporting," Los Angeles, CA; February 14, 2013
- Arent Fox's 2013 Medical Staff Leaders and the Law Conference, "Adverse Event Reporting; Transparency & Apology; and Medical Staff ERM," and "HIPAA and the Medical Staff," Newport Beach, CA; February 8, 2013
- California Association Medical Staff Services (CAMSS) Long Beach Chapter Annual Educational Conference, “HIPAA and the Medical Staff 2012,” Long Beach, CA; October 12, 2012
- Arent Fox's 2012 Medical Staff Leaders and the Law Conference, "Privacy 2012," Newport Beach, CA; February 3, 2012